Monday, October 7, 2013

Peanut Butter Bacon Provolone Pizza


In my post about the Big E a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned one of the items that has become a staple for us every time we go - the Peanut Butter Bacon Provolone Pizza. It's sold by Wooster Street Pizza, which has a few locations in Connecticut, and they call it Skippy's Dare. Apparently the pizza weirds people out, and they keep a tally at the Big E of how many brave souls give it a try. I was intrigued at first sight. I already knew peanut butter and bacon make for a combo from the heavens, and to have them combined with bubbly brown cheese and pizza crust was too hard to resist.

I've replicated it on my own a couple of times now. I don't really keep track of my ingredient measurements, so this isn't much of a recipe, just a guide for your own inspiration. Let me know if you try it!



Peanut Butter Bacon Provolone Pizza

Ingredients:

Cornmeal 
Pizza dough (homemade would be great - I usually am too lazy and use Trader Joe's dough) 
Creamy peanut butter (Skippy is my preferred brand)
Bacon, cooked until crispy, then broken into pieces
Provolone slices


Directions:

Preheat your oven according to your dough package or recipe instructions. If using refrigerated pizza dough, let it sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. This will help relax the gluten in the dough and make it easier to shape and stretch.

Sprinkle cornmeal on your baking sheet. This helps prevent the dough from sticking, and also helps give the crust a bit of a crunch. Spread the dough out on the baking sheet (or toss it in the air if you're fancy and more talented than me) until it's at your desired thickness and diameter. If your dough is stubborn and is resisting being spread out or is snapping back after being spread, allow it to sit at room temperature a little longer.

Add some peanut butter to a bowl and microwave in 10 second increments until it can be stirred. This will make it MUCH easier to spread the peanut butter on the dough - trust me, I've learned from experience! Spread the peanut butter onto the dough, leaving an inch or so around the edge to allow for the crust to rise a bit. The amount of peanut butter you use is entirely up to you. I just make sure there's a good coating on there.

Then spread the bacon pieces across the peanut butter, evenly distributing them. Again, the amount of bacon you use is completely up to you. I like bacon in every bite, so I pretty much cover the peanut butter.

Finally, lay the provolone slices over the bacon, overlapping them slightly and tearing them if necessary to make sure the whole pizza is covered. Put the pizza in the oven and bake according to your dough package or recipe instructions. After that, I usually turn the broiler on for a minute or two to help get that beautifully browned cheese like you see in the photos.

Slice and enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe, I've been trying to find a good copycat for awhile! Came out great!

    ReplyDelete