Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Spinach Artichoke Burger


I love when I can re-purpose ingredients from one meal to another. That was the case here. A few months ago, I made this Skinny Spinach Artichoke Chicken from Emily Bites. The dish was awesome, full of cheesy, garlicky goodness. And it was low in Weight Watchers points to boot! What made it even better was that I had extra spinach artichoke topping leftover. I hated to waste it, so I put it in the freezer in a Ziploc bag and honestly sort of forgot about it. Until last week, when I was staring at the contents of my freezer, trying to come up with a meal that didn't require going to the grocery store. My eyes fell on some ground beef I had shaped into burgers, and then on the leftover spinach artichoke concoction, and things just sort of clicked. I cooked up the burger in my cast iron grill pan, and heated up some of the spinach artichoke topping. As I suspected, it was a match made in heaven and, paired with some sweet potato fries and a nice cold beer, it made for a great weeknight meal.

Spinach Artichoke Spread
Recipe from Emily Bites

Ingredients:
4 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
½ cup fat free plain Greek yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup chopped onion
14 oz can artichokes packed in water, drained and chopped
10 oz package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded 2% Mozzarella cheese


Directions:
Combine the yogurt and softened cream cheese in a large bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir together until everything is well mixed.

I definitely recommend using the mixture on chicken and baking it, as in Emily's original recipe. But if you've got some leftover, or are in more of a beef mood, try it out on a burger! Just heat the mixture briefly in the microwave to warm everything up and help melt the cheeses, then spread over a burger. Mmm Mmm Good.




2 comments:

  1. That Spinach Artichoke sounds DELISH! Can you move in to my house and just make our meals? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That look deee-licious! -Cindy

    ReplyDelete