Monday, January 6, 2014

Garlic and Basil Whipped Feta


As promised, I'm finally back with a new recipe! This was one of the appetizers I made for a Christmas party at my house. It's so super simple, really flavorful, and versatile too. You could eat it like I served it, as a dip, (it goes great with pita crackers!) or spread it on toast or sandwiches.

I believe that the writer of the blog that I got this idea from used a mixer to make this, allowing the basil to stay in slightly bigger pieces throughout. However, I used my food processor, which meant that the basil got completely broken up and gave the feta a pale green hue. I think either way would be fine, depending on what kitchen appliances you have, but I kind of liked my green feta and how the basil flavor was present in every bite.

One more note - the original recipe called for salt to be added, but I think feta is salty enough so I didn't add any. Use your judgement! This can stay in the refrigerator for a few days, but make sure you take it out of the fridge a little while before you want to serve it. It will firm up quite a bit when cold and will be difficult to dip into or spread.

Garlic and Basil Feta

8 oz. crumbled feta cheese, room temperature
4 oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Pepper to taste

Whip cream cheese and feta (or mix in a food processor) until smooth and creamy and all the lumps are gone. Mix in minced garlic, basil, extra virgin olive oil and pepper. Whip for a few minutes until fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment