Monday, April 28, 2014

Margarita Cupcakes


It's been a few months since I posted on here, I know. I just haven't felt like it. It was a busy end of winter/start of spring, and when I had some free time, I didn't want to spend it blogging. But, I have had this photo and recipe in my "to-blog" file since I started this thing, with the intention of saving it until Cinco de Mayo came around. Well, Cinco de Mayo is a week from today, so I couldn't be lazy any longer. If you're having a Cinco de Mayo party this weekend, or just feel like making delicious cupcakes, look no further. I've made these cupcakes a number of times over the years, and they're a hit every time.

As much as I love baking, I can be pretty lazy about it. So recipes like this, that start with a cake mix and save me from measuring flour, sugar, baking powder, etc. are my favorite. Preservatives be damned. This is a recipe with alcohol in it, so I'm not about being healthy at this moment! Though there is alcohol in the cake batter, the alcohol bakes out and the frosting is nonalcoholic, so these are safe for kids to eat. But, do you really want to share them?

Margarita Cupcakes
Recipe from Recipe Girl
 

Cake Ingredients
9 oz. bottled margarita mix
3 oz. tequila
3/4 oz. Grand Marnier (or Triple Sec if you're on a budget)
1 (18.25 oz.) box white cake mix
3 large egg whites
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp lime zest

Lime Buttercream Frosting Ingredients
1 cup butter, at room temperature
5 to 6 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp lime zest
green food coloring, if desired

To make the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350° and line two 12-cup cupcake tins with paper liners.

Whisk together the margarita mix, tequila and Grand Marnier in a small bowl. Measure out 1 1/4 cups for the recipe; the rest can be poured over ice to drink while you bake!

In a large bowl, blend cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, lime zest and the reserved 1 1/4 cups of the margarita. Blend on low for about 30 seconds and then increase speed to medium and blend for two additional minutes. Batter may be slightly lumpy.

Spoon the batter into cupcake liners about 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes in the pans, then remove them to a rack to cool completely.

To make the frosting:
Place the butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until butter is fluffy. Add 5 cups of powdered sugar, salt, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until thick and creamy. If necessary, add more powdered sugar until the frosting is at the desired consistency for spreading or piping. Mix in a tiny amount of green food coloring - just a couple of drops will do it - you want it to be a pale green, not St. Patrick's Day green! Once cupcakes are completely cooled, spread or pipe the frosting on and serve.
 

1 comment: